Self-guided walks for the Curious...
Explore Lichfield city centre with two self-guided heritage walks with a treasure hunt theme. Discover Lichfield's "hidden treasures" whilst having a fun day out with family and friends!
Lichfield is Staffordshire's premier heritage city, nestled in the heart of "the country's most creative county". Being the 7th smallest city in England, it's easy to navigate your way to its many attractions, starting with the extraordinary, medieval cathedral with three spires and 113 statues carved above the main entrance. Home to Charles Darwin's grandfather, and birthplace of Doctor Johnson, it has a Square where markets have been held since King Stephen, and three people were burnt at the stake in the reign of Queen Mary. There's much more than even this to Lichfield - but why not discover it yourself!
Code Curious20 at checkout for 20% discount on purchases over £12
We are still open for business, but please make sure you are following government guidelines before doing our walks
Buy safely & securely using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) with a credit/debit card, or use PAYPAL
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer (PC, Mac or mobile) right now and print at home for £7.49
Add to Basket
DOWNLOAD a PDF (alternate format) to use on your phone or tablet right now for £7.49
Add to Basket
ORDER a BOOKLET which we will print and bind and send to you for £7.99 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Lichfield's city centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every which-way - so you won't miss out on any of the city's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Lichfield in becoming what it is today.
- This is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- The two walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the city - so buses, trains and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home or for using immediately on your mobile device, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Lichfield
Curious About... Lichfield
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Stunning Cathedral to Beacon Park - 1.25 miles / 2 kms
From the leafy surrounds of Lichfield Cathedral this walk wends its way past Minster Pool, teeming with wildlife, and timber-framed characterful shops and a variety of eateries. Arriving at the bustling Market Square, home to celebrations and brutal executions, quickly make your escape to the safer surrounds of the magnificent Cathedral and the beautiful Beacon Park, overflowing with delightful gardens, statues and open spaces.
Children's University event1.25 hoursOK
2. Beacon Park to Remarkable Almshouses - 0.8 miles / 1.3 kms
From the fascinating Beacon Park you explore two historic streets, before arriving at the Market Square and Lichfield’s Heritage Centre. Here there are plaques to the great and good, and stories of hangings, disembowelings and burnings at the stake. Onward next to visit the places where a king was crowned, a Friary once stood, and a venerable school functioned, before ending your walk at ancient almshouses with a rich tale to tell.
Children's University event1 hourOK
Each booklet is A5 size. You can: a) download to your computer & print; b) download to your phone or tablet (different format) & use directly from there; c) order a pre-printed copy which we post to you. Each has a page dedicated to the history of the city; 2 pages summarising each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way. Walk 1 has 21 clues & walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places & events along the way; detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck; a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. If you buy the print-at-home version you will need to print it on normal A4 paper and the email you receive, with the download link, explains how best to fold the pages to make it into an A5 booklet. If you buy the download to mobile version you will need pdf reading software on your phone or tablet, eg using the Adobe Acrobat App (free). Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 booklet, £3.49 for 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Lichfield).
Let us know one additional interesting fact you discovered along the route for each walk you complete (this provides proof that you did it / them).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.