Self-guided walks for the Curious...
Explore Winchester city centre with two self-guided heritage walks with a treasure hunt theme. Discover Winchester's "hidden treasures" whilst having a fun day out with family and friends!
Winchester is a Hampshire city famous for its monumental cathedral, having the greatest overall length of any Gothic cathedral in Europe. Set in captivating grounds and host to an atmospheric Christmas Market, it sits beside an ancient and famous college. Blending beautifully with the city around it, you can follow winding streets with quirky shops, or sit or play in charming gardens by a bubbling stream. Once a centre for Alfred the Great, Winchester now boasts Arthur's Round Table, housed in a medieval hall. A truly delectable city.
Code Curious20 at checkout for 20% discount on purchases over £12
Buy safely & securely using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) with a credit/debit card, or use PAYPAL
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer (PC, Mac or mobile) right now and print at home for £7.49
Add to Basket
DOWNLOAD a PDF (alternate format) to use on your phone or tablet right now for £7.49
Add to Basket
ORDER a BOOKLET which we will print and bind and send to you for £7.99 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Winchester's city centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every which-way - so you won't miss out on any of Winchester's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Winchester in becoming what it is today.
- Curious About Winchester is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- These two Curious About walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the city - so buses, trains and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One Curious About booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home or for using immediately on your mobile device, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Winchester
Curious About... Winchester
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Cathedral Circular - 1.5 miles / 2.4 kms
From the leafy exterior of Winchester's cathedral, this route moves quickly into the city centre - past specialist shops and quaint pubs, wrapped in fascinating history. Through a Middle Ages' gate and past an ancient Hall housing King Arthur's Round Table, you now arrive at a more gentle side to Winchester, with charming houses, steeped in memories - before returning to the cathedral for a well-earned rest in the tea rooms.
Children's University event1.5 hoursOK
2. Cathedral to Abbey Gardens - 1.25 miles / 2 kms
Start your walk with stunning views of the magnificent cathedral, none better than from Dean Garnier's Garden. Past Pilgrim School (the cathedral's choir school), through an ancient gate, and out into some quaint and timeless streets. Take a look at Winchester College, which dates back to the 14th century. Pass Wolvesey Castle, and walk alongside the pretty River Itchen, before ending at the fabulous Abbey Gardens.
Children's University event1.25 hoursOK
Each Curious About booklet is A5 size. You can: a) download to your computer & print; b) download to your phone or tablet (different format) & use directly from there; c) order a pre-printed copy which we post to you. Each has a page dedicated to the history of Winchester; 2 pages summarising each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way. Walk 1 has 21 clues & walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places & events along the way; detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck; a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. If you buy the print-at-home version you will need to print it on normal A4 paper and the email you receive, with the download link, explains how best to fold the pages to make it into an A5 booklet. If you buy the download to mobile version you will need pdf reading software on your phone or tablet, eg using the Adobe Acrobat App (free). Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The Curious About booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £2.25, and after that it's £4.35. Outside the UK it's £2.50 for 1 booklet, £3.80 for 2 booklets, £5.30 for 3 to 6 booklets and £10.75 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Winchester).
Let us know one additional interesting fact you discovered along the route for each walk you complete (this provides proof that you did it / them).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.
What People are Saying!
"You must have spent ages finding all the different places to see in Winchester! We particularly enjoyed Arthur's round table and the 'secret garden' and the riverside walk. I have to admit we ended up back at a fantastic hotel that we passed, for a fabulous lunch. Superb day out!"
Latest Revision : March 2019