Self-guided walks for the Curious...
Explore Colchester town centre with two self-guided heritage walks with a treasure hunt theme. Discover Colchester's "hidden treasures" whilst having a fun day out with family and friends!
Colchester was the capital of Roman Britain, long before London came to prominence, its castle was the blueprint for the Tower of London. Proportionately more Protestant martyrs were burnt alive during the reign of Queen Mary than anywhere else in England. The nursery rhyme 'Twinkle, twinkle little star' was written there in 1806, and in 1807 the oldest Hot Cross Bun in existence was baked there. In 1884 there was a major earthquake. The Kray twins, one of whom broke the jaw of a corporal, were graduates of its military school.
Code Curious15 at checkout for 15% discount on purchases over £10
Buy safely & securely using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) with a credit/debit card, or use PAYPAL
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer (PC, Mac or mobile) right now and print at home for £5.99
Add to Basket
DOWNLOAD a PDF (alternate format) to use on your phone or tablet right now for £5.99
Add to Basket
ORDER a BOOKLET which we will print and bind and send to you for £6.50 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Colchester's town centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every-which-way - so you won't miss out on any of the town's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Colchester in becoming what it is today.
- This is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- The two walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the town - so buses and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home or for using immediately on your mobile device, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Colchester
Curious About... Colchester
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Roman Gate to Colchester Castle - 1.3 miles / 2.1 kms
From the 1st century Balkerne Gate, the largest surviving gate in Roman Britain, this walk meanders its way around the characterful lanes and streets of Colchester’s heart. Walk past a jumbo-sized, Victorian water tower and onto a promenade for gentle men and women. Pass an ancient Saxon church, the magnificent Town Hall, a haunted hotel and a Natural History Museum before finishing at a remarkable castle set in fragrant, floral grounds.
Children's University event1.5 hoursOK
2. Colchester Castle to St Botolph's Priory - 1 mile / 1.6 kms
Passing a Beacon in the midst of the dramatic Castle Park this walk takes you round Colchester Castle, along majestic paths with wonderful views, before arriving at the delightfully arranged and fragrant Sensory Gardens. Now change direction past contemporary art galleries, a Norman church and a long stretch of Roman walls, before entering the grounds of an 11th century Augustinian priory, dedicated to St Botolph patron saint of travellers.
Children's University event1 hourOK
Each booklet is A5 size. You can: a) download to your computer & print; b) download to your phone or tablet (different format) & use directly from there; c) order a pre-printed copy which we post to you. Each has a page dedicated to the history of the city; 2 pages summarising each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way. Walk 1 has 21 clues & walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places & events along the way; detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck; a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. If you buy the print-at-home version you will need to print it on normal A4 paper and the email you receive, with the download link, explains how best to fold the pages to make it into an A5 booklet. If you buy the download to mobile version you will need pdf reading software on your phone or tablet, eg using the Adobe Acrobat App (free). Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 booklet, £3.49 for 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Colchester).
Let us know one additional interesting fact you discovered along the route for each walk you complete (this provides proof that you did it / them).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.