Self-guided walks for the Curious...
Worcester is an ancient city with a modern outlook and one of the UK's less explored historic cities. There's a stunning cathedral overlooking the River Severn, host to Elgar's first performance of the revised Enigma Variations, and burial place of King John. Royal Worcester pottery made its name in the 18th century, about the time the splendid Guildhall was built. Walk down winding streets with timber-framed shops, or alongside the Severn to some beautiful gardens, or experience the Civil War at one of its museums. Whatever takes your fancy, Worcester will always inspire!
EXPLOREDISCOVERENJOYCURIOUS15 at checkout for 15% discount when you spend > £10!
Buy safely using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) or PAYPAL with a credit/debit card, or via your Paypal account : very secure
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer (PC, Mac or mobile) right now and print at home for £5.99
Add to Basket
DOWNLOAD a PDF (alternate format) to use on your phone or tablet right now for £5.99
Add to Basket
ORDER a BOOKLET which we will print and bind and send to you for £6.50 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Worcester's city centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every which-way - so you won't miss out on any of Worcester's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Worcester in becoming what it is today.
- Curious About Worcester is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- These two Curious About walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the city - so buses, trains and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One Curious About booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home or for using immediately on your mobile device, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Worcester
Curious About... Worcester
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Worcester Cathedral to Guildhall - 1.75 miles / 2.8 kms
This walks samples much of what Worcester has to offer. Starting at its stunning cathedral, next is 16th century King’s School, neighbouring the cathedral in an oasis of calm, away from the sound and sight of traffic. Then a walk by the River Severn, before passing a porcelain museum, almshouses and remains of the city walls. Down cobbled streets and a modern shopping area, to finish finally at the fabulous Guildhall.
Children's University event1.75 hoursOK but diversion maybe needed
2. Worcester Guildhall to Park - 1.5 miles / 2.4 kms
Starting at the splendid Guildhall, this walks takes you via shopping areas, old and new, to a fascinating museum of Worcester life. Back through the centre, where you glimpse plenty of Worcester’s past, to an unusual spire disconnected now from its church. Down next to the river and a famous bridge with stunning views of the cathedral, before ending your walk at a delightful Park on the far side of the river.
Children's University event1.5 hoursOK
Each Curious About booklet is A5 size. You can: a) download to your computer & print; b) download to your phone or tablet (different format) & use directly from there; c) order a pre-printed copy which we post to you. Each has a page dedicated to the history of Worcester; 2 pages summarising each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way. Walk 1 has 21 clues & walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places & events along the way; detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck; a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. If you buy the print-at-home version you will need to print it on normal A4 paper and the email you receive, with the download link, explains how best to fold the pages to make it into an A5 booklet. If you buy the download to mobile version you will need pdf reading software on your phone or tablet, eg using the Adobe Acrobat App (free). Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The Curious About booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 booklet, £3.49 for 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Worcester).
Let us know one additional interesting fact you discovered along the route for each walk you complete (this provides proof that you did it / them).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.
What People are Saying!
"Our girls loved the Worcester walks and we will be back for more from other towns as and when we visit anywhere you have a "curious about". We've done quite a few of these kind of town trails & hunts and were particularly impressed with these ones. Thank you so much."
"Just wanted to say thank you for the quick service and the good booklet I shall look forward to learning more about the places I live in, with fun guide.
I shall be ordering more."