Self-guided walks for the Curious...
Explore Liverpool city centre with two self-guided heritage walks with a treasure hunt theme. Discover Liverpool's "hidden treasures" whilst having a fun day out with family and friends!
Liverpool’s waterfront is a designated World Heritage Site – the same as Sydney Opera House and the Acropolis! It has more museums, galleries and Grade II listed buildings than anywhere outside London, and holds the Guinness Book of Records title for being the Capital of Pop - more artists with a Liverpool origin (eg The Beatles) have had a number one hit than any other location. The 6 metre tall Liver Birds, on top of the Royal Liver building, are the symbols of Liverpool. According to legend, if the two birds face each other the city would cease to exist!
Code Curious15 at checkout for 15% discount on purchases over £10
Buy safely & securely using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) with a credit/debit card, or use PAYPAL
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer (PC, Mac or mobile) right now and print at home for £5.99
Add to Basket
DOWNLOAD a PDF (alternate format) to use on your phone or tablet right now for £5.99
Add to Basket
ORDER a BOOKLET which we will print and bind and send to you for £6.50 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Liverpool's city centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every which-way - so you won't miss out on any of the city's treasures. There is also a Liverpool 2.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Liverpool in becoming what it is today.
- This is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- The two walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the city - so buses, trains and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home or for using immediately on your mobile device, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Liverpool
Curious About... Liverpool
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Museums, Music and Culture - 1.25 miles / 2 kms
Starting in Liverpool’s cultural quarter you’ll quickly pass St George’s Hall, Walker’s Art Gallery, the Central Library, the World Museum and the memorial gardens of St John. Next relish the 19th century Municipal buildings with pyramidal spire atop the tower, before arriving at Mathew Street, home to the Beatles! Finally make your way through the oldest of Liverpool’s streets before ending at the impressive 18th century Town Hall.
St George's Hall Town Hall Children's University event1.25 hoursOK
2. River, Port and Docks - 1 mile / 1.6 kms
Starting at one of Britain’s finest surviving Town Halls you'll walk along ancient streets, past the parish church with delightful gardens, down to the River Mersey. Here you can feel Liverpool’s heritage. A wide river with boats plying their trade on one side, and the magnificent splendour of early 20th century buildings on the other - the Three Graces. Next pass the new Beatles Museum, before finishing at the magnificently refurbished Albert Dock.
Town Hall Albert Dock Children's University event1 hourOK but diversion maybe needed
Each booklet is A5 size. You can: a) download to your computer & print; b) download to your phone or tablet (different format) & use directly from there; c) order a pre-printed copy which we post to you. Each has a page dedicated to the history of the city; 2 pages summarising each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way. Walk 1 has 21 clues & walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places & events along the way; detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck; a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. If you buy the print-at-home version you will need to print it on normal A4 paper and the email you receive, with the download link, explains how best to fold the pages to make it into an A5 booklet. If you buy the download to mobile version you will need pdf reading software on your phone or tablet, eg using the Adobe Acrobat App (free). Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 booklet, £3.49 for 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Liverpool 1).
Let us know one additional interesting fact you discovered along the route for each walk you complete (this provides proof that you did it / them).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.
What People are Saying!
"I can't get over how fabulous Liverpool is. I knew about the Beatles, but I never realised before how steeped it is in history - and the River Mersey just took my breath away. I have to admit, we took the ferry across the Mersey as a diversion, but it was well worth it. These walks are magic!"
We completed the walk as a family and really enjoyed it, it was certainly informative and showed us all many things we have previously just walked past rather than actually taking the time to stop and look at the buildings or inscriptions to get an understanding of the past. We will definitely look to do another walk in a different location in the future.