The Tyne Bridge was officially opened in 1928, several buildings had to be demolished in the process, including the Goat Inn and a pickle factory. Coal was discovered in 1234 and Newcastle became the 1st coal port in the world. Thomas Trotter of Newcastle cured Nelson's other eye. A Newcastle player invented the offside trap. Newcastle is the 2nd driest city in the country. The Gateshead Millennium Bridge is the first rotating bridge in the world. Newcastle hosted the first dog show in the world and the first beauty contest in Britain. Impressed?
EXPLOREDISCOVERENJOYXMAS30 at checkout to get 30% discount on 2 or more purchases!
Buy SAFELY using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) or PAYPAL with a credit/debit card, or via your Paypal account.
Encrypted links guarantee maximum security.
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer (PC, Mac or mobile) right now and print at home for £5.99
Add to Basket
DOWNLOAD a PDF (alternate format) to use on your phone or tablet right now for £5.99
Add to Basket
BUY a BOOKLET which we will print and bind and send to you for £6.50 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne's city centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every-which-way - so you won't miss out on any of the city's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in becoming what it is today.
- This is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- The two walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the city - so buses, trains and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home or for using immediately on your mobile device, or we can print and bind it then send to you using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Curious About... Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Grey's Monument to Cathedral - 1.75 miles / 2.8 kms
Starting from the imposing Grey’s Monument, this walk takes you through the bustle of the city centre, passing the legendary Grainger Market, and an old Square. Next we catch a glimpse of the town walls, before passing through Chinatown, via an ancient and remarkably preserved Friary. We take a longer look at the walls, before passing along the elegant Grey Street, to end the walk at St Nicholas Cathedral.
Children's University event2 hoursOK but diversion maybe needed
2. Cathedral to Millennium Bridge - 0.9 mile / 1.4 kms
From the splendid cathedral, with its unusual spire, this walk heads next to the well preserved Castle Keep, before descending the unusual Dog Leap Stairs. From the bottom you can marvel at the engineering of the imposing arches of the Tyne Bridge, before approaching the Guildhall, the famous Bessie Surtees House and finally arriving at the impressive waterfront, dominated by four very different bridges.
Children's University event1 hourOK but diversion maybe needed
Each booklet is A5 size. You can: a) download to your computer & print; b) download to your phone or tablet (different format) & use directly from there; c) order a pre-printed copy which we post to you. Each has a page dedicated to the history of the city; 2 pages summarising each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way. Walk 1 has 21 clues & walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places & events along the way; detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck; a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. If you buy the print-at-home version you will need to print it on normal A4 paper and the email you receive, with the download link, explains how best to fold the pages to make it into an A5 booklet. If you buy the download to mobile version you will need pdf reading software on your phone or tablet, eg using the Adobe Acrobat App (free). Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 booklet, £3.49 for 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Newcastle-Upon-Tyne).
Let us know one additional interesting fact you discovered along the route for each walk you complete (this provides proof that you did it / them).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.
What People are Saying!
"The Curious About Newcastle walk is a brilliantly designed self-paced journey of historical discovery, which I enjoyed very much. I recommend purchase of the guidebook not only to tourists but residents of the city, as there is so much to discover. The walks are perfect for a long weekend, unusual date idea or family outing - so get curious!"
"Just thought I’d let you know that my (21-year-old) daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed following your booklet in Newcastle-upon-Tyne a few weeks ago. I’ve always loved treasure hunts and in spite of some wet, cold and windy weather we saw a lot more of this fascinating city and learned interesting things about it that I’d never have known otherwise."